- Help with Clean-up and Repairs Available Through the Department of Health and Human Services
July 9, 2014 10:30 a.m.
The Dare County Department of Health and Human Services is working with local volunteer groups to assist those recovering from the recent flooding and winds associated with Hurricane Arthur. If you need help with clean-up or home repairs, call 252-216-7274.
The Outer Banks Community Foundation is now accepting donations to the Disaster Relief Fund to support relief and recovery efforts. All contributions are tax-deductible, and 100% of all donations will be used to directly assist individuals in Dare County. Donations can be made online at www.obcf.org/donate, or can be mailed to the Outer Banks Community Foundation at 13 Skyline Road, Southern Shores, NC 27949. Please write “Disaster Relief” in the memo line of your check, or select the “Disaster Relief Fund” if donating online.
If you would like to help others with clean-up, contact Interfaith Community Outreach at 252-480-0070 to volunteer.
- Storm Debris Pick-Up for Unincorporated Dare County
July 7, 2014 5:00 p.m.
Debris removal for the unincorporated areas of Dare County will begin Monday, July 14, 2014. FEMA funding is not available to cover these costs, so the County’s hurricane debris removal contract will not be activated. All hurricane debris removal will be provided solely by Dare County Public Works staff.
Please be aware that only one pass will be made through each neighborhood so all debris should be placed in four separate piles on the side of the road by Monday, July 14. There is no set schedule for when crews will be in a particular area of the County. The process is expected to take additional time and customers are asked for patience.
Storm debris pick-up for the unincorporated areas includes all of Hatteras Island, Roanoke Island (outside the Town of Manteo), Wanchese, Manns Harbor, East Lake, Stumpy Point, Martins Point, and Colington (including inside the gate).
Debris should be placed in 4 separate piles on the side of road by Monday, July 14:
- Vegetative Debris (limbs, leaves, branches, sea grass, etc.)
- Construction and Demolition Materials (building materials, concrete, shingles, etc.)
- Household Hazardous Waste and Electronics (oil, bleach, televisions, computers, etc.)
Large items such as cars, boats, trailers, and campers will not be accepted and must be disposed of by the owner.
Debris taken to the Dare County Transfer Station in Manns Harbor or the Buxton Transfer Station will be charged the regular rate of $65/ton. (The first 500 pounds for residential customers is free with the remaining weight prorated at $65/ton.)
For more information, call Dare County Public Works at 252-475-5880 or 252-475-5881.
- Control Group Authorizes Unrestricted Access to Hatteras Island at 4:00 p.m. – July 5, 2014 at 3:30 p.m.
- Clarification on Reentry for Permanent Residents and Essential Personnel at 12 Noon Today – July 5, 2014 at 11:56 p.m.
- Reentry for Permanent Residents and Essential Personnel begins at 12 Noon Today – July 5, 2014 at 11:00 a.m.
- Repairs Underway for NC Highway 12 on Hatteras Island – July 4, 2014 at 2:24 p.m.
- Damage Assessment Teams Survey the Effects of Hurricane Arthur – July 4, 2014 at 9:53 a.m.
- Access No Longer Restricted Into Northern Dare County – July 4, 2014 at 6:55 a.m.
- Restricted Access into Dare County Friday Morning – July 3, 2014 at 11:45 p.m.
- Remain in Place as Weather Deteriorates – July 3, 2014 at 9:40 p.m.
- Hurricane Force Winds Expected for All Dare County; Refuges of Last Resort Now Available – July 3, 2014 at 6:45 p.m.
- Hurricane Arthur Continues Moving Toward the Outer Banks as an Intensified Storm – July 3, 2014 at 4:00 p.m.
- Dare County Stresses Dangers Associated with Arthur’s Upgraded Forecast – July 3, 2014 at 1:13 p.m.
- Mandatory Evacuation is Underway for Hatteras Island – July 3, 2014 at 10:00 a.m.
- Mandatory Evacuation Ordered for Hatteras Island – July 2, 2014 at 6:05 p.m.
- Dare County Control Group Will Meet Again to Assess Tropical Storm Arthur – July 2, 2014 at 3:00 p.m.
- Dare County Prepares for Tropical Storm Arthur – July 2, 2014 10:30 a.m.
- Dare County Control Group Monitoring Tropical Storm Arthur – July 1, 2014 6:30 p.m.
- Dare County Closely Monitoring Tropical Storm Arthur; Asking Residents and Visitors to be Aware and Begin Taking Precautions – July 1, 2014 11:30 a.m.
Live View of Dare County Roadways
Please click thumbnails below to view live images
NC 12 at the Temporary Bridge Inlet
NC 12 Pea Island
US 158 North of Whalebone Junction
US 158 and the Wright Memorial Bridge in Kitty Hawk